Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Time To Get Serious... ?

I've been approached by another fella who is interested in partnering up and taking the plunge into game publishing. We're talking maybe PDFs using the OGL and various OGL-like structures. I've had thoughts along these lines for quite some time, even moreso since I started checking out the sorts of things for sale at RPGnow. A good idea executed in 6 to 12 pages seems to be worth about a buck a copy to the PDF-buying public. I think there's a lot of smallish projects I could do, particularly using things like the anime SRD from Guardians of Order.

If I do get into the game biz, even in this small way, I will have to make some changes. At least some of my actual play will need to support whatever project I am working on. The 6 Islands Campaign would either need to be put on indefinte hiatus, scrapped or reworked as a viable commercial product. This blog will either need to directly support my game-writing or move down the priority list. In general, I will need to exercise more self-discipline. Less screwing around on the computer, more actual writing. Still, anticipation of the sense of accomplishment of writing and publishing even a tiny contribution to the hobby really electrifies me.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:03 AM

    well Jeff,
    as you know I am taking my own stab at game design. and while my efforts will probably never see publication (unless it's a vanity run for myself and friends) I have really had a great time so far doing it. my suggestion to you is to play it as you write it. put it to the test. dont write up 75+ pages of rules only to find out the game falls apart in actual play. take it a piece at a time, it seems to be working for me. as I write my own stuff I get really jazzed about what I'm putting down on paper, there is a definite sense of accomplishement that a chronic procrastinator like me really enjoys.
    give it a shot buddy.
    good luck,
    Jeff M.

    ReplyDelete