Wednesday, August 30, 2006

it's not a contest, folks

Yesterday's blog entry from RPGpundit merits a quick response. He reports that some people at RPGnet are talking smack about the new incarnation of theRPGsite. Can we please all agree not to have a message board war? Anyone who stops and takes a moment to think about it will realize that a heated rivalry between the two sites is pointless and silly. Let's look at the facts:
  • RPGnet is like 2 orders of magnitude bigger and awesomer than theRPGsite. It would take years of hard work for theRPGsite to achieve the same level of net presence as RPGnet.
  • The new RPGsite is intended for a different audience. Consider for a second that RPGnet's tagline is "The Insider Scoop on Gaming". That's not what theRPGsite is meant to be at all. If I had my way theRPGsite would have a nifty tagline like "Gaming for Regular People". Not because everyone on RPGnet is some kind of weirdo, but because I want the site to have a more populist and less insider approach. Neither way is wrong, just different.
  • RPGpundit and some of the mods at RPGnet may have some animosity, but RPGpundit is not theRPGsite and Eric Brennan is not RPGnet. Pundit is one man with a vision for the site and some admin powers. I think he's pretty cool but I don't always agree with him. I think a lot of the mods and admins at RPGnet are cool people, but I don't always agree with them, either. Some of the modding policies at RPGnet doesn't suit me, but that doesn't stop Cessna from being a total awesome guy, or VoiceofIsaac and A2K from being the cutest gaming couple I've never met in person.
  • Anyone who thinks RPGpundit will use his admin powers to silence critics on theRPGsite doesn't understand the man at all. He'd much rather fight than shut you up!
  • Anyone who suspects that theRPGsite is simply meant to be a 'bitch about RPGnet site' needs to point me to even one thread devoted to talking smack about RPGnet. I haven't seen any but if I do I will leap in, not with the mod stick, but with vehement and heartfelt arguments that theRPGsite is NOT an anti-RPGnet site.
  • Even if theRPGsite becomes everything I hope it to be, RPGnet will still be the best place for many gamers. I know several local RPGnetters, some of whom will clearly continue to be better served by RPGnet even though theRPGsite looks like a better fit for me. For example if Kathleen and Josh (RPGnetters coeli and UnkaJosh) were to ask me for an opinion, I would tell them to stick with RPGnet. Not because I don't want them at theRPGsite (I do) but because I think RPGnet's approach better fits them. Just like I would send a hardcore D&D-only fanatic to ENworld first rather than either RPGnet or theRPGsite.

So let's not fight, please? It's not like there isn't enough room on the internet for both sites. Pundit, this plea goes double for you. If we're going to do this, let's do it right. Keep things positive. Getting up in RPGnet's grill won't help your cause right now, even if some of them are picking a fight.

18 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:05 AM

    Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What confuses me is the inclusion of a theory forum. Given the professed thrust of the site, I am having trouble seeing it as anything other than a forum designed by RPGPundit for taking potshots at Forge-types.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I *think* the idea is to provide an official outlet for theory discussions so they don't clog the general RPG area the way they do at RPGnet. If that's the case I'd be happier just welcoming any theory-head who wandered in, rather than throwing down the gauntlet with

    "[This forum is t]he answer to all the Theory Bullshit out there. Here we use Theories based on what we know to work, to make new games, new mechanics, new settings, new whatever. This isn't a place to just chitchat about theory, its where we USE it!"

    That statement right there gives some ammo to the people who thinks theRPGsite is for haters and I don't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You see my point/concern, then?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yeah. You drilled down to one of the parts of the new set up that could probably use a refit. But other than the Landmarks discussion getting rehashed I don't see a whole lot of anti-Forge sentiment. The forum is getting used, and not for swipes at other people and other boards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:33 PM

    Calm reason and common sense on the differences between two forums? Is that allowed?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:50 PM

    It wouldn't be the internet, or gaming, if there weren't some stupid pissing contest. It's been said before, Can't we all just get along? It's all about gaming for goodness sake. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:17 PM

    Thanks for the heads-up on the site; I had no idea it existed and only learned of RPGpundit recently, as well (when Googling to find out why Nutkinland wasn't loading -- s'what I get for not paying attention). He looks to be an interesting fella ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3:25 PM

    Thank you Mr.Ross.

    in any case, the raison d'etre behind the Theory forum is that essentially the Forge has appropriated (I would say misappropriated) any and all "theory" discussion for themselves.
    They have set down their supposed foundations, created their lingo, and made an environment online (due mostly to being the first and loudest to state their theories) where it doesn't really matter WHERE you are talking about it, if you are talking about Theory everyone assumes you are talking about GNS/Forge theory.
    This Theory Forum is one explicitly stating that it is not only NOT about Forge theory, but also that it has a totally different set of theoretical foundations (the Landmarks) that would assume the Forge-based theories to be fundamentally unsound (as in, wrong at the very core of their assumptions about what gaming is and what gamers want, and therefore non-viable as a theory).

    Basically, its the Theory forum for talking about non-forge Theory, with an emphasis on the practical.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...and, thus, you prove my point.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. I think you're wrong about Forge stuff. Whe I was (briefly) active on the Forge, I read a number of theory posts that weren't completely antithetical to your Landmarks. I've also read (and written) plenty of RPG-theory that has nothing to do with G/N/S.

    2. By declaring your Landmarks to be the basis of the forum, aren't you doing the same thing you've accused the Forge of doing?

    3. How do you plan to respond to criticisms of your Landmarks? With name-calling? You do realize that your Landmarks are specifically targeting your perception of Forge-theory claims, don't you? They aren't foundational; they're antagonistic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. (Moderate denigration, expressed as plesantries)
    "Smoke the Boots!"
    (Left-handed conpliment)
    "Cough"
    {Exit, pursued by Bear}

    ReplyDelete
  13. "I totally dig where you're coming from. Personally, I find inter-BBS warfare on the lowest of the Lame Totempole.

    Thing is, is there any fight?"

    Maybe not. If you want to think of this post as me nervously trying to pre-empt the problem, I'd totally be cool with that.

    Kuma, thanks for commenting. I know Pundit is out there openly antagonizing people and calling folks names. And I'm sure it's a lot easier for me to be friendly with the guy than some, since I've never been in his crosshairs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. One other quick comment: Some stupid board drama earns a dozen comments while PC/centaur sex earns a quarter of that? I'm a little disappointed in my readership right now. I figured you were all more depraved than this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We're clearly jaded.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous8:47 PM

    I remember a Nisarg somewhere. Is the Pundit the same fellow? I get so confused ...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah, Nisarg and RPG Pundit are one and the same.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey, I'm delighted to hear about rpgsite. I'll have to check it out.
    I'm one of the folks who found some of RPG.NET's moderators to be just a bit too iron-fisted for my taste. I know several other folks who feel the same way, so some competition will probably be good for everyone.

    ReplyDelete